Reno-Tahoe Cannabis Tour
BY ED MURRIETA
RENO — The Biggest Little City in the World is second only to Las Vegas in Nevada’s newest bonanza — the golden greenrush of recreational cannabis in the Silver State.
Despite a court order to prevent the state’s new cannabis regulating body from allowing dispensaries to begin recreational sales next month, cannabis retailers are determined to meet the July 1 start date.
Whether you’re traveling to gamble, see a show, to make a pit stop on the way to or from Burning Man, to soak up nature or to buy pot, here’s everything you need to know about making recreational and medical cannabis part of your next visit to the Reno, Sparks, Carson City, Incline Village, South Lake Tahoe, Kings Beach or Truckee.
Adults age 21 and over. An individual may purchase X amount of cannabis in X period. Nevada’s recreational tax rate is X percent.
People authorized to use medical cannabis in their home states can use their valid doctor’s note and identification to shop at Nevada dispensaries. An individual may purchase X amount of cannabis in X period.
Where to Legally Consume
Cannabis use is legal only in private residences with landlord’s permission. Cannabis is not legal in hotels, rental cars or in public. That said, major hotels court Burning Man attendees. The likelihood of people smoking pot in Reno hotel rooms without hassled has been tested. Based on my two stays at both the Circus Circus and the Sands Regency in December, smoking pot in cigarette-smoking rooms probably won’t cost you cleaning fees or your loss of your damage deposits.
Silver State Souvenirs
What’s grown and processed in Nevada, stays in Nevada. It’s illegal to transport cannabis — flower, concentrates, edibles, tinctures, creams, transdermal patches and suppositories — across state lines, even if you have a doctor’s note to use it. Amtrak, Greyhound and airlines prohibit transportation.
5 Reno Strains to Try
- Kynd’s CBD Shark
5 Reno Edibles to Try
- CannaBella brand dried fruit (mango, apricot, kiwi), hard and gummy candies, olive oil and honey
- Mynt brand dark chocolate and milk chocolate bars; dark chocolate, milk chocolate and caramel singles; chocolate-cherry balls; and tinctures.
- CanaTabs brand micro-dosed pills, 5mg
- Products from Denver-based Dixie, many of which you don’t find in Northern California dispensaries.
5 Reno Concentrates to Try
RETAIL STORES & MEDICAL DISPENSARIES
- Mynt Cannabis — The only cannabis retailer or dispensary in downtown Reno. Located across the street from Harrah’s, within view of Greater Nevada Field, less than three blocks from the Reno Arch and an easy walk to the Truckee River and the RiverWalk pedestrian trail.
- Blum — Branch of the company that runs the Blum dispensary in Oakland. In Midtown neighborhood, near many bars and restaurnts. Catch No.1 Bus from downtown 4th Street Station.
- Sierra Wellness Connection — Drive or catch the No. 18 Bus from E 2nd and Lake streets in downtown Reno.
- The Dispensary — Near Peppermill and Atlantis hotel-casinos. Drive or catch No.1 Bus from downtown 4th Street Station.
- Kanna Reno — In the tony suburbs.
- Silver State Relief was the first dispensary in the region when it opened in July 2015
- RISE — Yada Yada Yada
- Sierra Wellness — Branch of the Reno store.
- NULeaf Incline Village operates in partnership with the Bay Area’s Berkeley Patients Resource Group.
South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Wellness Collective is the only dispensary on the California side of Lake Tahoe. On-premises smoking lounge. Must have proper California medical cannabis authorization and identification.
Dispensaries are banned in Truckee. However, medical cannabis delivery companies serve people in Truckee, Kings Beach, Carnelian Bay, Tahoe City, Olympic Valley, Squaw Valley, and elsewhere in the region. Must have proper California medical cannabis authorization and identification.
- Tahoe Herbal Care Delivery
- Green Trees Wellness Marijuana Delivery
- Tahoe Meds Marijuana Delivery Truckee
All of the big hotels in Reno welcome Burning Man attendees, offering specials and discounts for pre-Burn partying and after-Burn decompression. Be prepared to prove you’ve purchased a Burning Man ticket. Details TK. Meantime, click on hotels in the embedded map that accompanies this article.
- More than hotel buffets. Napa. French. Farm-to-fork. Barbecue.
- List of craft breweries and craft-cocktail bars.
GO, SEE, DO
- Hot August Nights nostalgic car show and classic rock concerts, in Reno, Sparks and Virginia City, Aug. 4-13.
- The Nevada Museum of Art is a rare gem — an institution accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. Only about 1,000 of America’s 33,000 museums are accredited by the AAM. Sunday brunch with Bloody Mary bar and live music in the museum’s cafe.
- Greater Nevada Field — home of the Reno Aces, the Triple-A minor league Pacific Coast baseball affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Never mind peanuts and Cracker Jack. Try locally made Kynd and CannaBella edibles and enjoy the old ballgame.
Newark, NJ, to Reno, with layovers in Chicago, Denver or San Francisco is just under $420 on United Airlines. Non-stop from Los Angeles about $250 and non-stop from Miami about $600, on United and American. Flights from remote Humboldt county are $xxx.
Get on board America’s best mode of subsidize train travel before Amtrak is eliminated by President Trump’s proposed budget. From Seattle ($xxx) and Portland ($xxx), transfer trains in Sacramento, where a trip starting from the California capital costs $xx. From Los Angeles ($xxx), transfer trains in Stockton. From Denver, it’s an overnight train trip that’ll cost approximately $100 to $160.
Cannabis and prostitution are both legal in Nevada but the twain can’t legally meet, never mind that science calls cannabis an aphrodisiac. Nevada brothel kingpin Dennis Hof told me he’d welcome cannabis use in his Bunny Ranch and other brothels. But that was before the bill that would have authorized smoking and vaping lounges in all manner of Nevada businesses stalled in the state Legislature. [Quotes available.] Meanwhile, a bill that would have legalized cannabis-infused massages, was vetoed by the governor. Too bad. As Bunny Ranch veteran Sable Renae told me, “I use edibles to control Celiac Disease and would love to offer massage with infused oils.” If you ever popped Viagra or another erection enhancer, you’ll know to take them ahead of time because they take a while to kick in — just like cannabis-infused edibles, the other aphrodisiac you may want to consume before visiting brothels.
Las Vegas story and interactive map in the works.