Brighten the spice-heavy mulled-wine doldrums. Hull shrub fruit and mull pomegranate sangria goosed with ginger and cannabis. If you live outside California and can’t buy Rebel Coast’s new cannabis-infused, non-alcoholic sauvignon blanc for a rose-colored sangria, use a decent red table wine and extra measures of cannabis-infused honey or agave.
Recipe: Pomegranate Sangria
Start to finish: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Approximate dosage: TK. See note.
- 1 pomegranate
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar (infused or non-infused)
- 1-inch piece of ginger root, sliced
- 3 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 bottle wine
- 1/2 cup brandy
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 1 pear, halved, cored and diced
- Gently roll pomegranate on counter beneath your open palm to loosen seeds. Lightly score a horizontal ring around the center and tear into halves. Place the halves in a bowl of water and slowly peel away the membrane, pushing out seeds. Drain and set aside.
- Place honey/agave, water and ginger in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, simmering until thick and syrupy. Remove ginger, then cool.
- Place the syrup, pomegranate juice, wine, brandy and orange juice in a large pitcher and stir to combine. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- An hour before serving, add oranges, apples, pears and pomegranate seeds.
Potency note: The potency of these finished recipes will depend on the potency of your cannabis-infused ingredients — honey, agave, wine, butter or chocolate, whichever you use and in whatever combined total you use. Read labels and determine the number of milligrams in each ingredient. Divide by the number of servings per recipe. That’s how many milligrams of THC will be in each serving.
The amount of cannabis product specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your products and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.