Pear tart is a fall classic. Made with cannabis butter in both the chocolate crust and in the almond filling, my favorite fruit tart is the height of autumn harvest enhanced with a hidden layer of hashish caramel.layering approach allows the flavors of the tart’s components — the chocolatey crust, the almondy filling, the sweet caramel and, especially, the freshly harvested pears — to strut without grassy cannabis interference. If caramel apples are the apex of autumnal, caramel pears are fall’s ambrosial brass rings.
Recipe: Pear Tart
Start to finish: 2.5 hours
Yield: 8-12 servings
Approximate dosage: TK
- Pastry bench scraper
- 11-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom
- Candy thermometer
For the pears
- 1-3 Bartlett pears
- Wash and skin pears
- Cut as desired and remove seeds and core. One popular method is to slice pears in half vertically then thinly slice halves width-wise. You’ll use 2 or 3 pears depending on their size and how you wish to arrange them on tart. To use one pear, slice in half vertically then thinly slice each half vertically.
- Additional pears may be sliced and included in the tart’s caramel layer if desired.
For the tart crust
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons almond meal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter (standard unsalted butter, infused canna-butter or mixture), cold and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 375°F.
- Pulse flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter and zest and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps. Add yolks, vanilla, and water and pulse just until incorporated and dough begins to form large clumps.
- Turn dough out onto a work surface and divide into 4 portions. Smear each portion once with heel of your hand in a forward motion to help distribute fat. Gather dough together using scraper and form into a ball, then flatten into a rectangle.
- Put dough in tart pan and pat out with well-floured fingers into an even layer over bottom and up sides so it extends about 1/4 inch above rim. Chill 30 minutes.
- Lightly prick tart shell all over with a fork, then line with foil and fill with pie weights. Bake shell until golden around edge, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove foil and weights and bake until shell is golden all over, about 15 minutes more. Cool shell completely in pan on a rack. Leave oven on.
For the frangipane filling
- 8 oz almond paste
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Beat together almond paste, butter, sugar, and almond extract in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in flour and salt.
For the caramel
- Honey (standard or cannabis-infused)
- Butter (standard or cannabis-infused)
- Spray three or four 9-inch pie tins with cooking spray or lightly brush with neutral cooking oil. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a 3-quart sauce pot over medium heat and stir as ingredients dissolve.
- Do not continue stirring.
- Insert candy thermometer into mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove mixture from heat when candy thermometer reaches X degrees.
- Carefully and quickly pour caramel into pie tins, dividing equally into at least tins at your desired thickness.
- Set aside pie tins to cool.
*Note: The amount of cannabis product specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your products and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.