Bottoms up to cannabis? Thumbs down to alcohol?
Cocktail culture meets cannabis culture in a new wave of infused beverages crafted with classic bar drinks in mind but no alcohol in bottles that resemble top-shelf booze in packaging and price. Some brands add non-intoxicating twists of CBD. Other brands seek to replace alcohol altogether.
Along with a side-bar explaining the consumer, technology and social forces driving the infused beverages trend, my story will taste-test and effects-test these new drinkables:
- Alcohol-free beverages in coconut, cinnamon and almond flavors inspired by whisky and Amaretto. Each bottle contains 8.5 shot servings of 1.5 fl oz each. Each serving contains 5 mg of THC. Serving suggestions: drinking as shots, on the rocks, or mixed in cocktails.
- Non-alcoholic single-serve versions of mixed drinks. Mocktails include cannabis-infused twists on High Horse and Daisy cocktail recipes — micro-dosed, micro-sugared and micro-caloried.
Cann Social Tonics
- Tonics infused with 4 mg CBD and 2 mg THC. Flavors include Blood Orange Cardamon, Grapefruit Rosemary and Lemon Lavender.
Proposition Cocktail Co.
- Non-alcoholic CBD cocktails in Turmeric Ginger Mule or Smokey Margarita flavors.
- Aromatic tonics enhanced with hemp-derived CBD.
Lagunitas Hi-Fi Hops
- Sparking water infused with cannabis and hops. Drink straight from bottle. Use as mixer. Pour into champagne flute and toast an alcohol replacement.